I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks...

“I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks. I noticed I was feeling different when I constantly had to go pee, and I also had bad nausea. I was 10 weeks when I got the abortion. At first, I was hesitant to have the abortion but after weeks of vomiting 3-4 times a day, I just couldn’t do it anymore. I decided to get the in-clinic abortion procedure done, because I heard that the pill would be followed by many days of pain.

A good friend of mine drove me to the Planned Parenthood. There were protesters outside. The best thing to do is ignore them. The drive for me was 2 hours. The night before we left I was awake all night with bad stomach pains. This was the worst feeling in my life. We got there and my friend wasn’t allowed with me in the procedure room, only in the recovery room. So, the nurses were very sweet to me, very smiley. I decided not to take any sedation. Mainly because the sedation came with side effects: dizziness, vomiting, nausea and delay of memory. The only thing I took was an 800mg of Ibuprofen and a nausea pill. They had me lay down on a chair that slanted into a bed, almost. I got to ask the questions that I wanted to ask, and they assured me that everything would go okay. The doctor was so kind to me and the assistant nurse was also very nice. During the procedure, she was rubbing on my shoulder and kept looking at me to make sure I wasn’t in severe pain. They asked me about my life and my plans after school, I guess to keep me occupied. It definitely worked.

They numbed my cervix, which I did not really feel. The only pain that I really felt was some cramps but they weren’t very painful. The whole thing only took 6 minutes. They were very gentle. Afterwards they helped me up and even put my pants and shoes on for me. They had to put a pad in my underwear for me because they said I will be spotting a little afterwards. They brought me to the recovery room where my friend met me. They also asked me if I wanted a juice and gave me a heating pad. They took my blood pressure which was higher than normal. I could feel myself shaking so I wasn’t surprised that it was higher than normal. I sat in the recovery room for about 15 minutes and was able to ask questions of the assistant. Then, they walked me and my friend out and kindly told us to take care and wished me the best of luck.

The 2 hour drive home was a little painful. The roads were bumpy. When I got home that’s when it really sucked. Mainly because I had the worst cramps in my life for 7 hours straight. Ibuprofen, Advil, and Tylenol were not helping. I was in excruciating pain the whole 7 hours. The only thing I could do was cry and keep my heating pad on. Around 11:00 pm the cramps went down and I fell asleep. I slept very well the whole night. I woke up the next day and did have some mild cramps, but nothing serious. I read many stories online about other women’s abortion experiences. It made me knowledgeable of what to expect, but something I learned: every woman’s body will react differently to this procedure. I wish you the best of luck.” - Anonymous


Recent Posts

See All

content warning: rape, sexual abuse, suicide attempts, self harm "I am a Texan. I am a daughter, aunt, niece, wife and most importantly mother. I am a Texan mom. I am a Caucasian white female who was