I am 20 years old...

“I am 20 years old and had just moved to a completely different state. I moved to take a year off from school and figure out what I wanted to do as a career. About three months after moving, I noticed that my period was late and that my breasts were unusually sore. After denying the possibility, I finally bought two at-home pregnancy tests...both of which turned out to be positive. The father was not aware of any of this, mostly because he was a guy I had met twice while going out with some girlfriends and had no interest in being more than that.

As soon as those tests showed the positive results, there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to get an abortion. This thought made me feel guilty at first, however, I realized I shouldn't feel guilty about making a decision for what's best for me. I still have so much I want to do in my life and knew it wasn't the right time to bring a child into the world. It took me a few weeks to call Planned Parenthood and set up an appointment, but when I did, everything was handled in a matter of days. At the first appointment, they performed an ultrasound scan and told me that I was about 8 weeks along. Initially, I had wanted to do an at-home abortion, however, my work schedule did not permit this. So, they scheduled an in-clinic abortion for a week later.

That week seemed to go by slow, yet also fast, at the same time. Finally, the day had arrived. Since I had no one to take me to the appointment, I drove myself. Once I got there, everything seemed to move by pretty quickly. They did some bloodwork, had an educator speak with me, and gave me some ibuprofen before the procedure. Everyone was very comforting and made me feel slightly less nervous about the whole ordeal. After the initial tests and paperwork, I dressed in a gown and was given an IV for a safety precaution.

Since I had driven myself, I was not allowed any sedation. I think this was the most nerve-wracking part of the whole thing. Once everything was set up, I was taken in for the procedure. There were four people in the room: the doctor, tech assistant, nurse, and a volunteer for support. Because I had no sedation, I was enormously grateful for the support volunteer. She was the sweetest human being and kept me calm during the whole thing. For those wondering what abortion without sedation is like, it's really not that bad. There are a lot of horror stories about abortion without sedation that made me so nervous going in, but after experiencing it, I wish I hadn't been as anxious as I was.

The entire thing took about 10 minutes and was relatively painless. I would say that the uncomfortableness maybe reached at peak of 5. Everyone in the room was extremely supportive and non-judgmental. As soon as it was over, I was wheeled to recovery and given a heating pad. I really didn't have any cramping and felt like I could get up and walk around right away. After about 45 minutes, the doctor signed the slip saying I could go home. I'll admit, I had a quick cry on the the way home, but that was honestly out of relief than anything else. It's since been 4 weeks since the procedure and not one part of me has regretted doing what I did. I made this decision based on what I believed was best for me, not what other people thought I should do. I will stand by that decision, no matter what anyone else thinks.” –Anonymous

#relief #bestdecision

Recent Posts

See All

content warning: rape, sexual abuse, suicide attempts, self harm "I am a Texan. I am a daughter, aunt, niece, wife and most importantly mother. I am a Texan mom. I am a Caucasian white female who was