I wanted to share...

"I wanted to share my surgical abortion experience with the Internet world to help ease some minds of nervous women who might have to go through a surgical abortion soon. I’ll start off with saying that I am a person who researches EVERYTHING, and when I found out I was pregnant and decided a surgical abortion was best for me, I read countless articles of women documenting their experiences, and to be completely honest most of them left me terrified.

So when I got to Planned Parenthood I was shaking in my boots. But I want to reassure you that my experience was 110% positive. Anyway... I walked into the clinic around 11:30 in the morning and I spoke with the receptionist behind the counter. I stated my name and handed her my driver’s license, insurance card, and debit card. After she had me sign a few authorization forms, she told me that my insurance covered most of the cost and I only had to pay $245 out of pocket.

Now I know this price might be a little hefty to some ladies but I do believe they have a lot of different payment options and their first priority is your health so don’t stress about finances when you’re already stressed enough. Okay anyway, after she charged my card I went to sit down next to my boyfriend in the waiting room. I sat there for about 20 minutes before getting called back. I walked into a back room where a nurse had me pee in a cup to verify my pregnancy.

The whole time I was pretty nervous but I kept a straight face and proceeded to follow her to the room where the surgical abortion was going to take place. For about 15 minutes she went through her computer questions and asked me about my medical history and if I was willingly making this decision. I stated that I was willingly letting the abortion take place and that I wasn’t in emotional or mental distress.

After that she had me undress and put on a nightgown and a paper blanket to cover up my butt area. She then did the vaginal ultrasound. It was just cold and there was slight pressure but it wasn’t painful or scary at all. She confirmed the pregnancy was 8 weeks and 6 days and asked if I’d like a copy of the ultrasound photos. I said yes but I didn’t want to see them until after the abortion was complete. She politely agreed and put the photos that were printed in a drawer for safe keeping.

After that, she gave me a small antibiotic and ibuprofen tablet for any cramps I might’ve experienced after the procedure. She left and a second nurse came in and asked me how I was doing, she was just as sweet as the first one! I told her I was feeling pretty good and I wasn’t as nervous as I was when I first came in to the clinic. After we finished talking, she checked my heart beat, blood pressure and had me read information about what I was going to be experiencing. Next she took my blood and inserted the IV needle that would be administering my medication (I chose moderate sedation and I had no extra costs so I highly recommend it). She reassured me the doctor would be in soon and I sat alone in the room for about 10 minutes.

Then the doctor came in and I was so relieved to see she was a woman! She was just as nice as the nurses and was super supportive and made me feel even more comfortable. We spoke for about 10 minutes about the procedure and I kept asking if I was going to feel pain. She said I might but the medication should sedate me pretty well.

Anyway, she administered the IV medication (I don’t remember the names of them) and within 10 seconds I felt like I had 15 shots of tequila! Okay so I’m going to go into detail here so be prepared... They first inserted a metal device that looks a lot like the thing your OBGYN uses when you get a Pap smear. It didn’t hurt at all and by this time I was babbling about nothing and watching the ceiling tiles dance around the room. Then the doctor started to dilate my uterus which I felt a little bit but it didn’t hurt and I was so out of it that I honestly didn’t care. That lasted about 30 seconds and then I felt a slight pulling and sucking feeling but it DID NOT HURT!

It was such a weird experience but I’m grateful the pain was so much less horrible than some women online made it seem! Within 2 minutes of her using the vacuum cannula to remove the pregnancy, it was over! The nurse helped me get dressed and I kept thanking all the ladies for being so supportive and nice throughout what I thought was going to be extremely traumatic. The nurse sat me down in the recovery room where she gave me some sprite and saltines to sip on while they waited 15 or 20 minutes for me to be less loopy. Then as soon as I felt fine they called my boyfriend in and he helped me into the car.

Within 20 minutes of our car ride home the meds had worn off and I had no pain at all. The only pain I ever experienced was about 24 hours after the abortion and it was just slight cramps due to my uterus contracting to its normal size. Other than that I had some light bleeding but that was it! It’s been a little over a week now since I had my abortion and I am feeling 100% good and confident in my decision I made.

I apologize if my story is a little long or all over the place, I wasn’t sure where to start. anyway, I guess the message I’m trying to convey is to not worry too much if you’re planning on getting a surgical abortion. I am a super big wimp when it comes to pain and I didn’t feel any pain whatsoever so if I can do it you can definitely do it! And if you’re feeling nervous or scared or sad or miserable, TALK TO THE NURSES THERE! They are there to help you and support you! The last thing they want to do is judge you for any decision you make, they’re a safe space to confide in and it’s really reassuring. The ladies who helped me made my experience much easier and less stressful for sure!! Anyway, thank you for reading!" —Anonymous


Recent Posts

See All

content warning: rape, sexual abuse, suicide attempts, self harm "I am a Texan. I am a daughter, aunt, niece, wife and most importantly mother. I am a Texan mom. I am a Caucasian white female who was